<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Wednesday, June 02, 2004

Watched Troy - not a bad movie. Must attribute all the negative comments to too much hype and exaggerated expectations from a star studded cast.. The movie was fine.. not spectacular or excellent.. but it was fine!

The Greeks and Trojans were portrayed as the stories tell us - with their own sense of honour and all - but brutal and cruel nevertheless. Even the Gods in their mythology are a vengeful lot, so no surprise there. Though there were too much humanising of the characters to make them appeal to the audience.. commercial needs ought to be met after all!

Anyway enough about that - but hey, ever wondered why people join armies and die defending their country? I can understand when people kill for money.. I understand people killing for something for themselves.. but killing AND dying for the ountry.. to protect people they dont know.. obeying the orders of leaders they dont see.. how much sense does that make? Look all around you - territory matters a lot.. why dont people just move on, move out and make lives for themselves.. is not that what has happened traditionally? Powerful civilizations have always displaced less powerful ones.. who, if not exterminated, move on and survive elsewhere... But now, all that has changed - terrorism, mass murders, televised decapitations - all in the name of fighting for their countries.. a turn for the worse? or just an inevitable development of what always was? I dont know.. All I know - taking a human life is no small thing.. no easy task.. yet, everyone is capable of it when sufficiently motivated (and we are not talking saving their own here).. It all makes no sense to me.. Give me my corner somewhere.. take away my luxuries.. i survive on my necessities.. take away my necessities.. i survive on bare essentials.. take away that.. well.. I dont know..

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?